In the 21st century, with fast-paced lives and omnipresent pollution, hair fall and hair loss have become major sleep busters. If you are one of the people who have been affected by hair problems, keep reading, for this is a way out for you.
So, times have changed, so has the environment and lifestyles. How does one take care of their hair under such conditions?
Do you need more chemicals in your life by way of hair products too?
An intelligent answer would be: no.
A way out of hair issues, with no side effects and chemicals? Sounds impossible, doesn’t it? Actually, no. Ayurvedic treatments for hair fall and regrowth are here for the rescue!.
Is Ayurvedic Treatment for Hair Effective?
I would answer this with an unequivocal yes. But you’re looking for the reasons. Aren’t you?
Let me tell you why and how of hair fall treatment in Ayurveda.
We all know it very well that the problems are best solved when the root cause is found. Ayurveda does that with hair problems.
According to Ayurveda, the universe is composed of five elements and three doshas and one of the doshas (pitta) when found in excess causes hair fall and hair loss. So, how does this increase in pitta dosha occur? Possible causes have been narrowed down to genetics, hormonal imbalance, stress, nutritional deficiencies, unprecedented weight loss, chronic illnesses, nicotine, and caffeine consumption etc.
Ayurveda locates the root cause and starts working on it by way of various methods of treatment.
Ayurvedic treatments take the top spot when it comes to hair problems by virtue of various other aspects too.
- They do not use chemical products which cause more harm than good, and they use organic materials which prove to be feasible long term solutions.
- Ayurvedic products are pocket-friendly and will not burn a hole in your pocket.
- Ayurveda produces long-lasting results and permanent solutions.
- Ayurvedic treatments do not produce side effects.
- Ayurveda works from the inside as well as from the outside. That is, we get the nutrients and the physically healthy hair! Two birds with a stone, one must say.
- There is a wide range of treatments and therefore, you can adopt a customized treatment which is necessary for your hair. These include dietary instructions, aromatherapy, meditation, oil massages etc.
A last observation which underlines Ayurveda’s effectiveness and close association with hair treatment is the existence of the Ayurveda text Sabasrayogam which recommends Neelbhringadi as the secret for lush and healthy hair and the concepts such as Dinacharya and Ritucharya (which refer to organising activities on a day-to-day and seasonal basis respectively) which espouse the idea that lifestyle changes can create better results.
Types of Ayurvedic Treatment
Ayurveda provides a wide ambit of solutions ranging from dietary changes, lifestyle changes, herbal medicines, oral medicines to oil massages. Fret not, because, I will take you through the most prominent courses of treatment undertaken in each of these categories.
1. Dietary Changes
Ayurveda doctors often suggest the following food items for curing hair loss and for hair growth.
- Aloe vera: You must have already heard of Aloe vera’s power in curing hair-related issues. Its juice by itself and with cumin (thrice a day for about three months) does wonders to increase the quality of hair.
- Green leafy vegetables: Take note, all of you, veggies rich in fiber play a major role in maintaining the health of your hair. A mixture of lettuce and spinach and the juice of carrot, and lettuce juice is also good for healthy hair.
- Yogurt: When in trouble, turn to yogurt! Have yogurt daily and say goodbye to hair fall.
- Nuts and dry fruits: Healthy, tasty and easy to eat would be how I would describe nuts and dry fruits. Almonds, raisins, apricots, dates, walnuts, etc guarantee to take you and your hair places!
- Citrus fruits: Amla, mangoes, and oranges are few of the most friendly fruits out there. They keep your insides cool and your hair healthy too!
- Sesame seeds: Have you ever noticed white sesame seeds? They might as well be what are called small-sized energy packages. They have magnesium and calcium content and should ideally be taken in the morning for overcoming hair loss.
- Food rich in zinc: Pop a few seeds of pumpkin, squash, and watermelon and you are good to go!
- Water: Last but not least, drink plenty of water. Do not forget to stay hydrated, folks.
If you want to dig deep, you can read this article from Healthline.
2. Ayurvedic Oils
One of the most relied upon ayurvedic treatment for hair fall is oil massages. They are the most commonly used method of treatment as well.
Ayurvedic oils help in dealing with a number of hair issues such as hair fall, premature greying, scalp infections, dryness of hair, dandruff, split ends, etc while also promoting hair growth, hair regrowth and making hair lustrous. They often moisten and lubricate hair, increase blood circulation the scalp and improve hair follicle growth.
Ayurvedic oils also provide a soothing and comforting massage experience.
You can choose any of the following oils on the basis of comfort and feasibility.
- Coconut hair oil: Coconut oil massages are equivalent to spa treatments, if I may say so. They soothe your scalp, moisten your hair and is oh-so-good for dry hair. Before you hop into bed, give yourself a head massage with coconut oil and feel infinitely better.
- Bhringraj oil: Troubled by premature greying and hair loss? Bhringraj (also known as the ruler of hair) oil is the one to turn to. This is an excellent remedy for hair fall prevention and for gaining lovely, black hair. Just a note, for best results, use it regularly and before bedtime.
- Rosemary oil: Are you affected by male pattern baldness? Rosemary oil is the name to look out for. Use it twice a day for six months and see visible improvements. The presence of Carnosol which is an anti-inflammatory agent balances hormones raises follicle growth and increases hair growth.
- Lavender oil: You might have heard about lavender oil and its positive impacts on the skin, but lavender oil helps against lice, nits and lice eggs as well. Lavender oil nourishes the roots and revives the follicles.
- Juniper oil: If you are someone who has been at a loss when faced with acne breakouts on your scalp, say no more. Juniper oil with its astringent and antiseptic qualities is here to cleanse your scalp and provide a wholesome cure.
- Castor oil: Do you want a many-problems-one-solution-oil? Look hither! It is loaded with proteins, minerals et al. Castor oil is a go to solution for split ends, dandruff and for smoothening rough hair. It increases hair growth by increasing blood circulation to the scalp.
- Amla oil: Amla oil is probably one of the most commonly used and recommended hair oils and I reckon it’s because of good reason. Amla oil nourishes one’s hair, makes it blacker and thicker and is especially good against premature greying.
- Neem oil: Neem is called the wonder plant and I don’t wonder why! It is amazingly effective against dandruff, lice, and grays. Next time you get ready to take a bath, apply some neem oil and let it be for 20 mins. Thank neem later!
3. Ayurvedic Shampoos and Hair Packs
Ayurveda often turns to herbs for natural solutions to get good looking hair. You can make a paste of the following herbs and apply it your scalp and wash off like shampoo and granted, you will have gorgeous hair.
The oft-used herbal remedies are as follows.
- Fenugreek or Methi: Want to make a hair remedy out of ingredients you already have? Cue methi seeds. They are miraculous when it comes to hair regrowth and follicle repair.Make a methi paste with seeds soaked overnight (you can use warm water or lemon juice) and use it thrice a week. For some variety, you can also add cooked green gram before making the paste.
- Amla or Indian gooseberry: Amla is an all-in-all remedy for hair growth. It also keeps dryness and itchiness of the scalp at bay. It fights dandruff as well. What a catch, right! You can use amla powder in multiple ways: with whisked eggs and henna powder.When you make an amla powder-whisked eggs paste, you guarantee yourself well-conditioned hair. When you make an amla powder- henna powder paste, you say farewell to greys and scalp infections. Either way, it’s a win-win.
- Neem: The cure-all herb should be on your go-to list in case of hair emergencies. Why? Here’s why. Its anti-microbial properties resolve dandruff, lice, dryness, etc and increase root strength and blood circulation to the scalp. There are various ways to make use of this wonder herb.You can use a neem extract (made after straining boiled neem leaves) or you can opt for a neem-yogurt mask for healthy hair. If you want to skip the queue on this one, you can turn to neem shampoos too.
- Shikakai: You are about to encounter one of the hair kingdom’s heroes: shikakai. Its lather producing properties render it suitable to be used as a natural, Ayurvedic shampoo. It restores scalp health and prevents hair fall.Shikakai is also instrumental in detangling your hair. To use it as a shampoo, soak a few pods overnight and boil it. After washing your hair, use half of this solution on your hair. Follow this up by massaging for a few minutes and rinsing it off. The rest of the solution can be used after this step to produce lather. You just made yourself a reliable shampoo!
- Aloe Vera: Aloe vera is one of the household names which has always been known for its potential in matters related to hair. It stops hair loss, cures scalp issues and dandruff. One of the most easy ways to use aloe vera is to extract its pulp and apply it as a hair mask.To those who will to go a step further, make a mask out of hibiscus and aloe vera and condition your hair to the best! You could also use a paste of lemon juice- aloe vera and then shampoo it off later and get yourself a healthier scalp.
- Ritha or Soap nuts: Need a shampoo but at no extra cost? You have come to the right place. Usage of ritha provides better texture and volume for your hair. You can use ritha as a shampoo by boiling a few soap nuts with amla and letting it soak overnight.You can also do the same with ritha powder and use it as a conditioner. Ritha, also known as washing nuts, thus proves its caliber as a shampoo cum conditioner!
4. Lifestyle Changes
Apart from herbal remedies and oil massages, Ayurveda also recommends preventive measures and lifestyle changes for maximum results. The most important few are mentioned below.
- Exercise and yoga: A tweaked proverb would say, “If health is lost, everything is lost”. So, cut out a few minutes from your busy lives , make yoga and exercise a part of your daily routine and keep your body healthy and fit which in turn will result in great hair!.
- Avoid stress: I understand how impossible that might sound but still, worth a try. Stress is one of the foremost reasons behind many bodily discomforts. Remember to lay back at times and not take too much stress in your day-to-day life.
- Sleep: How many hours did you sleep yesterday? If your answer is less than six, this tip is for you. Sleep schedules are often ruined than not in this fast-paced world powered by social media. Try to get a good sleep of 7-8 hours every day. It does wonders to your hair.
- Say no to alcohol, nicotine, and caffeine: Good hair or alcohol, coffee, and cigarettes? One cannot have them all. Alcohol, nicotine, and caffeine have been found to be dangerous in the pursuit of good hair. It’s time to chuck them, friend!
- Eat healthily: This is the key to having good hair. Along with a balanced diet, avoid excess of oily, deep-fried and spicy foods. Have a high protein and iron rich and also, make sure that you have an adequate amount of raw vegetables, green vegetables, fruits, salads, etc.
5. Ayurvedic Pills
Ayurveda also follows a method of treatment in which oral supplements and tablets are prescribed. These ayurvedic medicines for hair growth often act in a supporting role to oils and herbs. Given below are the oral prescriptions for particular hair problems.
- Rasayana therapy medicines: Ayurveda believes that with better bone growth, hair growth becomes better too. Chyawanprash, Brahma Rasayana, etc are medicines for nourishing body tissues (especially bones), which therefore lead to hair growth. Narasimha Rasayana – another part of this therapy- is a herbal jam against hair fall.
- Haircare tablets: Ayurveda also prescribes oil-based oral medicines for hair care. Some examples are Gandha taila, Ksheerabala 101 taila and Maharaja Prasarini taila. You can buy these in a capsule format and can consume orally.
- Ayurvedic calcium and iron supplements: Remember those dietary changes suggested? Ayurveda provides an alternative to actually eating calcium and iron-rich food items. Shankha bhasma and praval bhasma are calcium supplements and Saptamrit Lauh, Lohavasam, etc are iron supplements.
- Scalp disease pills: Oils, shampoos etc for scalp infections have already been suggested. But if you are busy and do not have time for those, here is a way out. Oral medicines such as Khadirarishta, Mahamanjishtadi Kada and Panchanimbadi gulika, etc are used to treat scalp diseases.
- Stress ease tablets: I cannot *stress* this point enough! Avoiding stress can be really stressful too, and thus, here is a shortcut. Hair growth medicine in Ayurveda for to ease stress includes Manasamitra vatakam, Saraswatarishta etc.
- Hair growth capsules: Some of the most popular ayurvedic pills for hair growth are trichup capsule, nutrich capsule and hairich capsule. They help in treating hair fall, premature graying and to improve blood circulation to the scalp respectively. Aromatic jatamansi can also be taken in the form of a capsule for hair regrowth.
Ready for an Ayurvedic Hair Treatment?
Hair issues can be messy. Hair issues can extend for years. It can be painful. In your lookout for solutions, you should never compromise on quality over anything.
Ayurveda’s effectiveness, combined with its organic nature and pocket-friendliness takes the cake. It provides permanent and wholesome solutions.
By beginning at the root cause and expanding according to the comforts and personalized problems of each person, ayurvedic methods of treatment such as dietary changes, shampoos, hair masks, lifestyle changes, and ayurvedic oral supplements provide multiple reliable ways out of the hair maze.
So, I really hope our Ayurvedic tips for hair growth will definitely help you regain your lost hair and control hair loss.
Stay natural and holistic, folks!